The Benefits of Reflexology
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a therapeutic form of foot massage which stimulates tissues and organs of the body by manipulating the corresponding reflex points on the feet. Reflexology is used for relaxation and stress relief as well as promoting health, blood circulation and lymphatic circulation. By placing pressure on a reflex point this can stimulate the normal function of the corresponding organ involved. For example, secretion of a hormone. Reflexology is great for pain relief as it interrupts pain pathways and encourages the release of endorphins to ease your aches and pains.
Some of the benefits of reflexology are:
- Stress reduction – When we are stressed our body’s defences break down and we become more susceptible to illness and disease. Reflexology stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which stimulates the body to relax. By inducing deep relaxation, the nervous system can function normally and the body can return to a state of balance.
- Improved nerve function – There are 1000′s of nerve endings in the feet. When neural pathways are impaired messages are delivered slowly and unreliably. Reflexology encourages the opening and clearing of neural pathways allowing the nervous system to function optimally.
- Pain reduction – Reflexology interrupts pain pathways and encourages the release of endorphins easing pain and allowing the body to relax.
- Improved circulation – Stress and tension tighten up the cardiovascular system and restrict blood flow causing sluggish circulation. By increasing the state of relaxation reflexology allows the cardiovascular vessels to conduct the flow of blood naturally and easily.
- Improved Immune function – Reflexology stimulates the organs of immune system, and encourages lymphatic flow, thus reducing risk of infection.
- Increased Energy – Reflexology opens up energy pathways throughout the body revitalizing and energizing the body giving an improved sense of well being.
Reflexology works on all the different systems in the body such as the reproductive system, digestive system, endocrine system, immune system. By supporting all of the systems in the body Reflexology can assist in many different health conditions and help the body to function at optimum levels.